Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Finally, (Half) the Wait is Over


As most of you know, Bunny is expecting our second child at any momemt (type fasterrrr!), and Lilly has been waiting patiently for her own rite of passage.   After months of anticipation, the moment has finally arrived.


Yesterday was a hard day.  Bunny woke me up at 3 am in the morning, "Bubby, I don't feel so good."  At first, I had to break out of a deep slumber, but then, Achtung!, I sprung into action, "What's going on?  Should I call the midwives, fill the tub?"  Bunny replied softly, "I'm having a hard time sleeping...I'm going back to bed."  So, I laid around for another half hour or so counting sheep.  

But it's no use, the adrenaline has kicked in, and I'm wired for the rest of the morning.  The rest of the day was equally discombobulated and tiring for both of us, despite the unseasonably warm, sunny weather.  The new addition to our family was due on January 26th (according to Beth & Marilyn, our midwives), or February 2nd (according to Dr. Ed, the sonagram ND).  Yesterday, was February 3rd, and I think we both had enough of this seemingly endless waiting.  By evening, Bunny was weepy and my joints were coming apart impatiently.  

Then, it happened -  Pop! We were all on the couch pouting, 
when Lilly extracts her first loose tooth with a single twist.  Our frowns turned upside down, and Lilly's holy smiles filled us with joy and glee.   Suddenly, she's a bonafide 'big kid' now that her baby teeth are falling out.   There's something really BIG about that first tooth despite it's miniature size.  It's like she transformed into a more mature, seasoned five-year old and can now righteously demand elderly respect on the kindegarten playground.  

After brushing Lilly's remaining teeth, we admired old family photos, reminiscing the arrival of her first baby tooth at nine months.  Then off to bed for a better night's rest.  Now, if we can just pop out one more...





No comments: