Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Steelers!!! What are the odds?

This morning, our green building staff meeting digressed from hip hop pseudonyms to socio-technological phenomenons like the blogosphere. Generally, I'm a lagger when it comes to anything computer - not because my Gen X pride lacks Gen Y savvy, but rather I like to wait until the pond is full before jumping in. And, well my dears, today I realized that the blogevoir runneth over. My apologies for any clunkiness and unforeseen transgressions as I dive in...

With the exception of the teenage years when football represented a generation of meatheads getting wasted on generic beer and an advertised life, I've been a Pittsburgh Steelers fan since 1979. That was the year the Steelers defeated the Cowboys for their third Super Bowl Championship with a magical cast of Allstars: Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Rocky Bleier, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Green, ... I was a scrawny 8-year old living in Reno Nevada, and rural Shenandoah Virginia, finally learning how to throw a spiral.

Fast-forward 30 years to the Steelers winning their sixth Super Bowl at the Hedge House in Portland. I love the Hedge House. In my beersnobbery opinion, they serve the best brews (New Old Lompoc LSD Nitro on tap!), and easily the most delectable pub grub in town. The humble bungalow captures Portland's pioneer charm, and Pix Patisserie next door serves the best post-game treats (just ask my daughter, Lilly). AND, besides being an all-around great place to chill with friends, family and strangers, they are a STEELERS backer bar!

Ok, so yesterday on the Hedge House back porch, amidst a mini-sea of swirling yellow & black terrible towels, Steelers linebacker (and NFL defensive player of the year) James Harrison intercepts the Arizona Cardinals' Kurt Warner and rolls to a record-setting 100-yard touchdown with zero seconds left in the first half. Needless to say, this spectacle sends my fellow fanatics into a cheering frenzy. Bunny calls from home to join in the bliss. I throw Lilly into the air, and then turn to my nearest neighbor for a whopping High Five.

He screams, "I just got into Portland from Pittsburgh today!"

Literally, he had just flown into downtown Portland that afternoon and someone recommended that he continue his journey to the obscure SE Portland Hedge House for the big game. At halftime, Lou and I shake hands then realize our connection is no small coincidence:

"So why are you in Portland?"

"I'm here for work in the environmental field." Lou responds.

"Same here, what line of work"

"I'm headed to Vancouver B.C. tomorrow," he says, "but first meeting with the City of Portland."

"No kidding, I work for the City of Portland"

"Yeah, I'm meeting with the City to advocate for sustainable development," Lou remarks.

"That's funny, I work for the Office of Sustainable Development!"

He exclaims, "You gotta be kidding! I'm meeting with Alisa tomorrow at 4:30 pm."

"I work in green building with Alisa, too. You're having the quin
tessential Portland tourist experience, RIGHT NOW!"

We're all smiles during the second half - sharing beers, stories, sandwiches and gummy bunnies as the game turns into a nailbiter. Lou has five daughters and is enamored with Lilly as much as she is enamored with his french-fry-filled Pamini Brothers' sandwich (from the Hedge House' game day Steelers menu). Like most folks from Pittsburgh, he's super friendly and values serendiptiy.

I often think of Pittsburgh as the Portland of the East coast. They're both hilly River cities with metropolitan populations around 2 million people and filled with architecture that preserves their relatively long histories as well as open park spaces. More than that, they are Renaissance cities relying on their cultural senses of community and creativity to transform from down-and-out industrial burgs into vibrant Green cities of the future. High quality of life is favored over the Rat Race, as both cities develop with a sustainable focus: light rail transit, bike-friendly commute options, farmer's markets, independent local businesses, honoring diversity, and general compassion for one another. And of course, both cities are just barely big enough to each host a long-time major league team bringing the community together (even if you're not a sports fan): we have our Trail Blazers and they have their Steelers. Right, back to the STEELERS!

After falling behind 20-23, the Steelers muster their fourth quarter guster
and rally for a game winning touchdown drive ending with a perfectly executed pass from Big Ben Roethlisberger to Superbowl MVP Santonio Holmes. Bunny, who's at home watching the game and expecting our second child (and first son) at any moment, texts the baby name, "River Holmes Mason!" The celebration continues through the next day, as Alisa is feeling ill and asks me to sub for her meeting with Lou. Teamwork!

The odds of the Cardinals beating the Steelers: 7 to 1.

The odds of Lou and I crossing paths: at least 4 million to 1.

Synchronicity is the small stuff that keeps hope alive and makes life in Portland enchanting. I can't imagine being anywhere else besides right here, right now, in this magic moment. Well, except maybe Pittsburgh! Stay tuned for more...

1 comment:

julie said...

love it vinh. love the name river holmes mason too.